August 31, 2026: Reunion at Kenbukan Ujita Dojo in Wakayama

August 31, 2026: During a recent visit to my hometown of Wakayama, I returned to the karate dojo where my younger brother and I trained as children—after an absence of 50 years.

To my great surprise and delight, I was able to reunite with Nobutaka Tsumoto Sensei, who took great care of both my brother and me in those days. Sensei is now an 8th Dan Hanshi and Chairman of the Japan Karate Federation Goju-Kai.

After reminiscing about the old days, I had the opportunity to watch the children’s training.

I was deeply impressed to see that, just as it was 50 years ago, Sensei remains committed to teaching karate as Budo, distinctly different from sport karate. He places great emphasis on mastering the fundamentals and kata, patiently and thoroughly instilling the basics in the children.

It was a truly nostalgic and inspiring visit, and a wonderful reminder of the values I learned through karate as a child. Mastering the fundamentals (“Kata”) is what makes one strong in practice. The same principle applies to business.

















Wakayama Castle 






Of course, before heading back to Osaka, I enjoyed my favorite Wakayama ramen!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 5-8: Business trip to Canada

June 6, 2026: Annual General Meeting of the Kansai Waseda IE Alumni Club

Starting the New Fiscal Year 2026